The rain arrived! One short, thundery downpour on Monday evening threatened to flatten a lot of the plants but since then we have had more moderate rain every day and the garden has responded well. I’ve been working on a new quilt this week so there’s been very little gardening done but the plants have had a good chance to recover and I’ll be out there this weekend trying to restore some order. I must also take Salvia and Penstemon cuttings asap. I took a quick trip around the estate this morning (it doesn’t take long!) and here are six things that caught my eye.
- Straight out the back door is Anemone ‘Honorine Jobert’. I keep this to a small clump that comes up in front of the foliage of Clematis ‘Aljonushka’ (there seem to be several spellings of this but this was the one on the label) after it has finished flowering. However, with this years unusual conditions the Clematis is having a second flowering.
- Slightly to the left of the above photo are the Hostas in pots. The dry conditions mean that they have been mostly unaffected by SnS. Solenostemon ‘Campfire’ was on the patio but when it got very hot I moved it up to this shady area and there it has remained, looking very good with the Hostas.
- On to a sunnier, very dry spot in the garden where Alstroemeria ‘Summer Breeze’ and Salvia ‘Nachtvlinder’ have responded well to the rain.
- One of my first jobs today is to deadhead the Dahlias but they are looking good. Here’s todays favourite.
- The colour in the main border is changing as the Michaelmas Daisies get into their stride. I’m going to save them for another week as Helianthus ‘Lemon Queen’ has been flowering for weeks and deserves to make an appearance here. I divided this plant in the spring as it had outgrown its space but the drought doesn’t seem to have affected it at all. It gets covered with bees and hoverflies and doesn’t require staking, despite being over six foot tall.
- There’s a narrow, west-facing border in front of a mixed hedge that I’ve struggled with for years. It gets very dry and anything tall ( my usual preference in a plant) grows away from the hedge. I decided to try a mix of Hylotelephiums (nearly wrote Sedums then) and mid-height grasses a few years ago. It’s been slow but encouraging progress though some of the grasses have really struggled this year (same old story). Here’s a pairing that has definitely worked.
It’s not forecast to rain today but the sky in the pictures suggests a different story. I’m off to do some deadheading now so will return later to catch up with other Sixers at https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com/
Thanks for reading and wishing you a good weekend.